Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Blue Exorcist & Mysteries


1st Impression, a Foiled Title?

Ao no Exorcist.. I actually got to finish it earlier than I expected. As with most titles I enjoy I watch them in large batches if not in one big marathon. This wasn't any different, except.. My usual gluttony for episodes with this title did not occur out of the desire for wanting more because it was so exciting, but more as to have it seen and be done with it. I mentioned previously that it looked promising and it even though it really did have potential, I was saddened to see that it didn't develop any further. Now I wouldn't say it was a total flop because it's still really enjoyable if you're into the typical shounen anime. For me it was a subtle and nice change of pace from the previous 'mind-bomb' anime, Steins;Gate. Otherwise, I would have probably felt like I was watching another "normal" anime. Though there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, it also doesn't offer much of a rising excitement curve.


Storyline & Characters

The story is a bit 'so-so' and plain. It's not so much the choice of genre and categories but more as to how they were performed and shown. It's good enough for a normal typical shounen anime, but to my regret it lacks a lot of depth for it to truly ascend beyond mediocrity. One can already imagine the storyline by thinking of the few keywords that define it's genre (e.g. Demons, Exorcism, Supernatural etc).

The characters were actually pretty entertaining, from the high-school delinquent main character to the reserved and somewhat shy female classmate. Character development is definitely present but not in substantial amounts or to philosophical degrees. Nevertheless it fitted the story and with that view of perspective I'd say it was really good.


Art, Sound & Animation

This anime proves that it doesn't take much to please me when it comes to art, sound and animation. The opening and ending themes were music to my ears (d'oh) or in other words subarashii! Also the soundtrack was splendid, fitting and inflicted me with the proper 'spirit' regarding that particular scene. I'm not going to nitpick with sound effects because frankly, to me it all sounds the same. It takes a really high level of depth in this department before I consider it above average.

Same as with sound, the art and animation were just right for me and it takes a certain amount before I consider it on a 'Da-Vinci' level. Especially art is one of the most subjective aspects, I couldn't possible dislike an anime for it's art unless it was actually drawn by a 5-year old in MS Paint. Art is unique and sometimes highly quality-dependent (e.g. try comparing the first episode of One Piece with a more recent episode, and you'll see the difference). So to me, both art as well as animation are solid and pleasing to the eye.


The Ending & Conclusion

So with all the above in mind what can I say about the ending..? ..to me, it doesn't really matter if an anime has a happy end or not. But what I want and expect from it is to be either a mind-blowing twist, something satisfying and fitting or just something that takes a hold of me and doesn't let go. After going down an entire road of episodes, of course the ending should be a big importance - and as with such I want something I won't easily forget if I even ever would. Now, I don't think I'll be forgetting this one any time soon.. ..but alas, I don't mean that in a positive way - and I think that says more than enough. It wasn't bad or anything. It was just.. nothing special.

So the final verdict on this title? I was lingering around a 6 or 7 but in favour to the new lovable character I met in this anime (Shura Kirigakure) I'll choose the latter. She reminds me a lot of Revy and a bit of Yoko Littner which I of course adore.



Next-Up!

After I had finished watching Ao no Exorcist, I already jumped into a new title on which I'm already over halfway. The anime is called Gosick and having watched about 18 episodes, I can honestly say I'm enjoying it a lot more than the previous contestant and I'm really anxious to see how it will end. I'm quite the sucker for mysteries and similar aspects and theories so I could have seen it coming really. After this one I'll probably be watching Amagami SS, what seems to be another high school romance title. It has been a while since I last saw a decent title in this genre. I've only seen 2 episodes so far, but the story - though awkward at first seems to be interesting enough. So that's the plan laid out so far, unless I get struck by another great mystery title.

Still need to get around to writing reviews or whatnot about the titles I have skipped mentioning but I'll get to it eventually.. All in due time, until then..


~Ja Ne.

0 comments:

Post a Comment